The SMMR Project
The project “Sustainable Design of Urban Mobility in Middle-Sized Metropolitan Regions”, the SMMR Project, is an ASEAN – German Cooperation project with the overall objective to make Sustainable Mobility More Real. The SMMR project office is hosted by the Ministry of Public Works and Transport in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The team is composed of national experts in Cambodia, Vietnam, Lao PDR and Thailand, three international experts, an office manager in the project office, and the Communications & Outreach Officer (new position). The team is supported by members of the project implementation consortium (Clean Air Asia, Wuppertal Institute, Rupprecht Consult and GFA Consulting Group), and by the German Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ).
The SMMR Project supports the development of new forms of cooperation, integrated policies, and lighthouse projects in the field of urban and regional mobility in three metropolitan regions in the above-mentioned ASEAN Member States in the Greater Mekong Subregion. The SMMR Project also develops policy documents for the ASEAN Land Transport Working Group in view operationalising the ASEAN Kuala Lumpur Transport Strategic Plan (KLTSP) and the ASEAN Regional Strategy for Sustainable Land Transport (ARSSLT).
The first phase of the SMMR Project, from March 2019 to October 2021 has initiated several projects in the focus regions and produced two policy documents. During its second phase, the SMMR Project will accompany the existing projects toward implementation, initiate new projects and develop additional policy documents. In addition, special attention will be given to outreach to transport administrations and other stakeholders in urban and regional mobility in all ASEAN Member States, with the objective of sharing experiences and policy debates as widely as possible and creating Communities of Practice that enhance local action and innovation through international cooperation.
Communications & Outreach Office Role and Tasks
The Outreach Officer’s role is to develop and implement a pro-active and multi-channel communication strategy that reaches out to stakeholders in the urban and regional mobility sector in all ASEAN Member States and beyond for the dissemination of SMMR publications and capacity development programmes, and to build and develop interactive, pro-active Communities of Practice.
The Outreach Officer will work in close cooperation with all members of the SMMR Team who are responsible for the creation of SMMR project related substantive content. The Outreach Officer will cooperate with the communication officers of a variety of public and private organisations that are active in areas related to SMMR topics and activities.
For this purpose, the tasks of the Outreach Officer include:
- Market research investigating the SMMR target audiences and creation / population of a “prospects” contact database of functions and individuals in public administrations, private sector companies and civil society organisations.
- Maintenance, “feeding” and promotion of SMMR communication channels, namely the www.smmr.asia website, LinkedIn, Facebook Groups and “direct marketing” (e-mailing, etc.).
- Creation of SMMR related news items and their dissemination through SMMR own and third-party channels.
- Production of content related to SMMR activities, such as video clips, .pdf publications and .ppt presentations. Maintenance of the SMMR branding and graphic charter.
- Maintenance of the SMMR Master Calendar of own and third party events and outreach opportunities, and outreach to the event organisers in view of SMMR participation in these events.
- Operational support to SMMR Training activities : management of participants lists, invitations, MS Teams webinars, platforms of training resources on www.smmr.asia, etc.
- Operational support to SMMR Communities of Practice : management of member lists, invitations, MS Teams webinars, minutes of meetings, etc.
The SMMR Outreach Officer has good general understanding of issues related to urban mobility, urbanism, transport, energy, environment, social development and climate change; sustainability, inclusiveness.
- She or He communicates fluently, confidently, precisely in oral and written English. He or She is able to draft news items and short articles and edit drafts produced by international and national experts. Knowledge of ASEAN national languages is an asset, especially Indonesian and/or Malaysian.
- He or She is a self-organised, pro-active team player, within the SMMR Team and with peers in partner organisations.
- She or He is computer literate and proficient in general Window and Office handling, including file administration, databases, e-mailing, etc.
- He or She is proficient or fast learning in IT and communication tools, including graphic design tools (Adobe creative suite, Canva). Knowledge of video editing software (Premiere, Final Cut Pro) is an asset.
- He or She is proficient in effective content dissemination and moderation across multiple Social Media platforms, including Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter, and TikTok.
- He or She is proficient in WordPress: web-design and web-administration, as well as SEO (search engine optimisation).
The position is to be filled in Phnom Penh, ASAP. The place of work is the SMMR office hosted by the General Directorate of Land Transport in the main building of the Ministry of Public Works and Transport, and home office. Working Hours are flexible. IT equipment and licenses are provided.